Friday, February 13, 2009

Food for Thought

I work as a baker’s assistant at a local bakery, it’s like a pastry chef without the pay and degree. I asked the group of runners who come in every week what they recommend I try to incorporate. They suggested dark chocolate. Runner's Mag. did an article on this and brought up all its positive qualities. It is loaded with anti-oxidants and the higher the cocoa percentage the better it is for you. It being Valentine’s Day Eve I did some experimenting at work with various fruits dipped in chocolate.

The results: strawberries, raspberries and blackberries- amazing but too traditional. Bananas and apples also good, but not enough. Chocolate covered cinnamon sticks in our Dutch hot chocolate-need I say more. That was a stretch to justify. Citrus and chocolate isn’t the best either. So I was out of ideas and fell back on foodnetwork.com and found other recipes which are healthy without being hearty. A Grilled Chocolate Sandwich only sounds weird. The Ganache (YUM) can be put over anything and add-ins like flavored liquors, creme de'minth or Irish Creme, make it that much better.

1 comment: